Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeBest Served Cold OOC - Page 2 SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Best Served Cold OOC

Go down 
+6
Kesslan
SPCOsborne
wngd_phantom
Stubbspks
Paradox
taniwhaiti
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Character sheet
Character Name: Melvin Herbowitz
Race: Troll
Sex: Male

Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 am

Kesslan's argument runs parallel with the one I tried to make in character, referencing painters and plumbers, etc. My characer however doesn't really have the option of being picky, he's got bills to pay. Now. So while he may be walking into a trap, he doesn't really have a choice at this juncture.

And besides two faces (my unnamed troll and Lared) and a smuggler (Quixote) Who else is on the job? I think I saw reference to a rigger earlier and another character who hasn't had a chance to introduce themselves but what else have we got? I've already started to think of ways to work the investigation but if I can use players instead of contacts for RP purposes I'd prefer to do just that.
Back to top Go down
Havick1988
Team Leader
Team Leader
Havick1988

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-12-06

Character sheet
Character Name: Havick
Race: Elf

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:22 am

should i repost my earlyer post or just wait? as i cant realy do anything untill my searches come back sence they take so little time in comparison to everything else going on
Back to top Go down
taniwhaiti
Team Leader
Team Leader

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Character sheet
Character Name: Haruki 'Tora' Tokugawa

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:40 am

Jaron told you his bottom line. There was no way that you were going to get anything else out of him. So then if the offer is his final it would seem quite logical that you have two choices. Accept his offer or walk away as you weren't going to get any more than what he offered. All the dialogue in the world is irrelevant if somebody has given you their final offer. So you either took the offer or you didn't. Quixote stepped forward and put his hand up so Jaron moved with him as he accepted the offer. You could argue that he doesn't speak for the group. Fair point. However, the only other option was to walk away and none of you posted that you were walking away. If you did then Best Served Cold was over and I would maybe try another run.

Jaron let you all know that time was of the essence. He also was never going to disclose details of the job at all unless you accepted the job. Shadowrunners have honor. If you accept a job and then you are asked about it by anybody really, you never disclose what you are doing or have done. It is kept in the 'shadows'. If you started to shoot your mouth off about the jobs you were doing or have done then you would be dead and so would all the people that you have told or runs would dry up because you cannot be trusted. Thats the market. Shadowrunners do the jobs that clients do not want people to know about for a variety of reasons.

Jaron also let you know that he had a package that he wished to be returned so the job was a retrieval. If he disclosed details of the job and then you said no and left then one word from you to the media or even letting it slip to your friends could potentially sink his business. His business as eluded to in posts is consultancy in a retreat setting 'ranch'. If corporates and companies found out that at his ranch retreat you could well be kidnapped and then potentially killed because for some reason the ransom demands are not met then the business world would never agree to send their people there to the retreat. Executive staff of the companies would never agree to go in the first place becasue of the potential threat.
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 9:47 am

Noted.

Also, I have one more detail to add:

When action is available I'd like to do a search of the room (perception skill being used) and use an edge on the challenge.

If you rereference my "cheat sheet" on my character page in the forums it'll show that for this I'd be rocking an effective perception check of:

10+ edge (5)+ 1 for everyone else assisting (I'm not 100% sure what the number is there)

so if anyone else has a higher perception that mine+edge they can lead the initial search, otherwise that's my forum equivilent of a ready action.

Please note that the perception skill IS NOT the same as investigation skill, so if someone has that they may be able to make something of what I stumble across (I better come across something: statistically I should roll 5 hits when I make the test, not including the bonus from assistance)
Back to top Go down
taniwhaiti
Team Leader
Team Leader

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:16 am

SPCOsborne - break down that Perception because your perception skill is 2 + what?
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 10:31 am

The cheat sheet is the post right after the character sheet if you scroll down that page but I'll plug it in here:

Perception skill: 2
Intuition Attribute: 4
Co-processor rating: 3
Enhanced Protien exchange: Synch: 1

10 total

Add my edge (5) and there you go.

Also note that in my cheat sheet it mentions that the co-processor (from Shiawase impalnt) only works in the physical: not the Astral or Matrix as far as perception tests.

And according the the description of the skill test in the core book I'd recieve a +1 from every person assisting (up to +5)

And by using edge the rule of 6 applies: meaning every 6 I score is a reroll (invisible castle actually has a modifer for that from what I looked up)

In addition: Neither the Synch nor the Co-Processor say anything about incompatibility with eachother (synch has incompatibility with dynomatin, another bioupgrade, but that's it), but if you are thinking about it I'd like to point out that the purpose of the Co-processor is to push unnecessary stuff off to the side, where the Protien exchange enhances the pattern recognition, and thus is my argument for why the two shouldn't interfere with eachother.
Back to top Go down
taniwhaiti
Team Leader
Team Leader

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 11:25 am

Yeah - but only one point of edge can be spent on any specific test or action at one time.
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 12:08 pm

Correct, and the point of edge adds a number equal to my edge attribute.

This is referenced in page 62, SR4 20th anniversary edition, in the example given for "rule of 6" in the lower right corner of page, green text.

And is stated in the Edge rules, page 74, 20th anniversary: ".....You may add a number of extra dice equal to your
full Edge attribute to the dice pool....."

So for example:
I have 5 edge and spend 1, I gain (up to, "may" clause is listed) 5 dice to the roll

I spent 3 edge over the course of the game and have 2 left. I spend 1 edge and gain (up to) 5 dice to a roll.

Edge can be pretty powerful when bought en masse when you think about it.
Back to top Go down
Mirikon
Team Leader
Team Leader
Mirikon

Number of posts : 457
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 pm

Say, Tani, what's your policy on a player who's already done this run in RL?
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:18 pm

In response to the OOC regarding eyesnwalt and his hacking attempts, I'm going to take a guess that we have an omnihacker on our hands: one who has to hack into every single node they lay their eyes on. My personal (and OOC) response to this is to give him a swift kick in the jumblies with some benign IC from a vending machine if this ends up being the case.

And just from my personal experiences: the easiest way I've gotten into a node was simply by asking for admin priviliges. Lucky for me the guy who gave them died as a result of the run and security never picked up on the access transfer.
Back to top Go down
taniwhaiti
Team Leader
Team Leader

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Come on SPC - did he really die or did you provide him with the oppotunity? LOL!
Back to top Go down
Havick1988
Team Leader
Team Leader
Havick1988

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:32 pm

ill put it this way, Eyesnwalt is a loner in most cases, when he works with people expecialy those whome he dosnt know he wants to find out as much about those people as he can, to him Information is Power and he loves information as it can bring money with it to the right person, but he will also not hack into every node that he crosses, he just hapened to come accross something that seemed a bit out of place so he wants the dirt on it
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm

Ok, so while being stabbed in the back is possible, it's not guarenteed. I've played characters like that before.

Oh, and do we acknowledge your presence in the form of the droid? Or is this more like "why the hell is this thing following us?" And you said something about an anime-ish avatar, is that the means through which we'd communicate to you? And if so how is it done (Flat panel screen, AR, holographic, etc.)
Back to top Go down
taniwhaiti
Team Leader
Team Leader

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 2:43 pm

SPC - There is challenging which is a good thing and then there is a hater and that is not. You sound like you are spitting your words. Lets get this issue sorted shall we? In Shadowrun - you live with spybots and droids every day. When you walk down the street there are droids everywhere. When you go to a mall there are droids watching you with spiders operating behind the scenes. In companies and industrial sites there are droids and cameras all over the place. Big brother is no more than a minor inconvenience in someones day. So your character would have thought that the droid was just another security droid doing it's thing.
Back to top Go down
Kesslan
Fixer
Fixer

Number of posts : 2140
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Character sheet
Character Name: Kesslan
Race: GM
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 2:50 pm

BTW Tani,

While understand your point, there are -always- a few details a J can give iwthout spililng the whole story. It is a retrieval of: Object/Person, you will have security possibly armed with X level of gear. You are infiltrating: A building/Boat/etc.

Small things that are not likely to give away the whole story. THen there are issues that, yes, are so sensitive that no, you cant divulge even the slightest piece of info, and those jobs tend to be worth a hell of a lot more than 5k a pop.

As I said, it simply was not the least bit clear ot me that he was 100% unwilling to divulge anything at all and thats why I pressed the issue, to see if he was going to say "No i'm not telling you anything at all" or if he maybe tossed up a few minor details to give us a clue on what was going on.

I hardly expect the guy to divulge actual secrets, but it's extremely rare when there isnt something that cant be safely outlined in advance, prior to the job being accepted or not. I mean it's not like the runners are gonna try to turn you into the police or anything. So the meet with a J is always a juggling act of just how much info you let out, and how much of the money the J is being paid for the job they are willing to give you a cut of (Since that's effectively what your pay comes out of at least half the time)

Negociation is more about just money. It's about knowing how far you can press without crosing the line, in the attempt to get the J to cough up some actual details before you accept the job, and that's what all the negociation rolls are about to an extent. To see how far you can get before you hit that hard line. I mean some J's.. are not even professional J's. You might get some amature who's way out of his league, spilling the beans to anyone cause all he wants is his missing daughter back.

As to the droid, yes there's 'big brother' in SR, but even that has some limits, espeically on a ranch way out in the middle of nowhere. That said, optics also have incredible range, so it may not even be visible unless you specificlaly look up in the sky for it etc. Their also far more noticeable indoors etc than outdoors.

Runners are also, by their nature a paranoid lot. So it's only natural for them to want to try and take note of what ever security measures happen to be there. And if the J really wants this to be such a big secret, well one owuld think he'd wonder about the drone too if it's not one of his.
Back to top Go down
taniwhaiti
Team Leader
Team Leader

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Runners are paranoid - are you sure about that? LOL!

Paranoid, yes! Thats what keeps you alive!

Freak paranoid, no! Thats what will kill you!
Back to top Go down
Kesslan
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah, any decent runner has a healthy dose of paranoia. Thats even right in the main rule book.

Flat out paranoia is a flaw however.

Happening to wonder what a drone is doing out int he middle of a ranch on the other hand isn't necessarily 'freak paranoia' as you put it. It's simple,c ommon sense for a player to wonder and then as the GM about it.

I mean we dont know what kinda drone it is. For all I know ok it's a standard modern farm drone that you'd expect to see that some one has hacked or placed there and is using to snoop. Or it's a more obvious security/observation drone that may be part of the security. ANd if it's the latter, it's only NORMAL for runners to want to at least be aware of their presense etc as that's a NECESSITY of the job. If your not careful about who's watching you, where and when, in Shadorun, some one, likely the cops, are going to have you by the balls mid run and you'll wind up dead or in jail.

By doing a run, your almost 100% of the time breaking the law in some way.
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm aware that technology is ALWAYS watching you, make no mistake about that: part of my personal investigation was to check out the RFID tags on the target's remaining clothing, hoping they're part of a set of outfits making it slightly easier to track (now granted, you're searching for a pair of pants on the internet with the number 3.14....... but it's a start).

The situation being as it is: I'd expect Falcone to be paranoid if there's an unknown droid flying about on his property, and I think I recall something along the lines of the drone is flying a few feet above our heads? The droid would have to have <UBER> stealth capabilities to be able to be that close to us without anyone looking up, and if you've never tried it try going into a crowded area with a friend and have your buddy look up and point in confusion on a spot on the wall (preferably 10+ feet up) and watch how many people are going to look. I'd assume that'd be the situation if we didn't know what the hell this flying thing nearby us is and at least ONE of us made a perception check (refer to my score, for instance). Not necessarily "It's the fuzz, cheese it!" per se, but more like "uh.......does anyone own this?"

And depending on which cop you talk to, being SINless could be considered a crime:

"Stop existing or I'll shoot!"

Oh, and if I sound like I'm being hateful, I'd like to apologize right now for it. I'm actually in a pretty good mood today since I get to have a Shadowrun fix and most of my college work is done and after this week is over my Real life goals, while still hectic, become fairly focused (specifically getting transferred to my school for re-training by the 29th or earlier, I'm military IRL BTW)
Back to top Go down
Kesslan
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:24 pm

SPCOsborne wrote:
And depending on which cop you talk to, being SINless could be considered a crime:

Actually I'm pretty damn sure that Being SINless is from an SR legal standpoint in most countries, a crime.

Afterall, if your a legal, law abiding citizen, you have a SIN. You have no reason NOT to have a SIN.

SINless dont exist. Not unless their criminals!

Or so the main stream line thinking goes, never mind that it's perfectly possible to be born SINless if your parents were etc, or were not born in a proper hospital etc.

Hell, depending on your species and the country you are in, you either cant get a SIN at all, or if they find out you dont have a SIN, they just give you one (See NAN, Aztechnology etc vs CAS, UCAS, etc in regards to shapeshifters and various awakened and sentient species). Hell as it is, even Dragons cant have SINs in most countries technically speaking, except that they tend to be so powerful no one wants to tell them no. And those that do promptly meet... unfortunate ends.
Back to top Go down
Havick1988
Team Leader
Team Leader
Havick1988

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:44 pm

With the Drone i would be woried if no one noticed something hovering 10 feet above your heads thats about as large as a Human, and as an FYI its a Federated-Bowing Kull Transportation Medium Drone, hes not tryingto hide his drones presence, and as for the discription of the Matrix Persona, i felt i might as well add that in as well as Eyesnwalt is in full VR at the moment, oh and later you might find out that the droied is named 'Walt'
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:47 pm

Well, at least we figured the droid issue out, now I'm gonna check out if we can in fact talk to the drone without PAN access (I hope that droid isn't in arsenal, that's gonna take a minute to find in that book).

And for the dragon comment:

https://shadowrunonline.rpg-board.net/want-ads-f11/looking-for-a-run-t204.htm

I'd like to reference my "best quote from a game" on this one.
Back to top Go down
Havick1988
Team Leader
Team Leader
Havick1988

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 3:59 pm

page 120 in Arsenal
Back to top Go down
SPCOsborne
Meat
Meat
SPCOsborne

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 4:15 pm

So outside of AR I'd be looking at a flying drone with no personality.

It's ok, the companion cube from the video game portal was awsome in it's own way.

*hugs* cheers
Back to top Go down
Kesslan
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 4:18 pm

*eyes SP warrily*

Your not one of... THOSE kind of freaks are you >.>

Razz
Back to top Go down
Havick1988
Team Leader
Team Leader
Havick1988

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 4:25 pm

even looking at the drone in ar it looks like a drone, his matrix personality isnt visible on the drone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Served Cold OOC   Best Served Cold OOC - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Served Cold OOC
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowrun Online :: Library :: Archives :: Archives - :: Dead Runs :: Taniwhaiti's Games-
Jump to: