Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeDrone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
klinktastic

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-10-14

Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback Empty
PostSubject: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 11:48 am

I'm thinking of starting with 3 primary drones each with a specific niche.

1. Arial Recon Drone - Something that can stream real time tactical feeds to my and my teams HUDs. Low light, thermal, etc are obviously going to be important. Probably equip it with some sort of radar and other sensor equipments.

2. Arial Support Drone - This drone would carry out two primary functions. First would be E-WAR. ECM and other such gear could be used to support ground forces. Second, would be some sort of heavy weapon. I'm thinking a grenade launcher filled with smoke, frag, and HE with ammo skip and airburst link. That way, I could provide tactical cover (smoke), anti personnel (frag), or anti armor (HE) on demand.

3. Ground Support Drone - This would be your standard doberman style ground and pounder. LMG with some decent armor, it allows you to provide mobile suppression fire and some tanking for the ground combat team.

This sounds like it would cover most of the main niches. Maybe a few mini drones that the ground team can use to check hallways and what not as well.

Do these three set ups sound good? Or should I spread out ECM, Recon, and Support? What would be key activesofts and additional gear for each of these drones?
Back to top Go down
WearzManySkins
Team Leader
Team Leader
WearzManySkins

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: WeaZManySkins
Race: Human
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 12:28 pm

klinktastic wrote:
I'm thinking of starting with 3 primary drones each with a specific niche.

1. Arial Recon Drone - Something that can stream real time tactical feeds to my and my teams HUDs. Low light, thermal, etc are obviously going to be important. Probably equip it with some sort of radar and other sensor equipments.

2. Arial Support Drone - This drone would carry out two primary functions. First would be E-WAR. ECM and other such gear could be used to support ground forces. Second, would be some sort of heavy weapon. I'm thinking a grenade launcher filled with smoke, frag, and HE with ammo skip and airburst link. That way, I could provide tactical cover (smoke), anti personnel (frag), or anti armor (HE) on demand.

3. Ground Support Drone - This would be your standard doberman style ground and pounder. LMG with some decent armor, it allows you to provide mobile suppression fire and some tanking for the ground combat team.

This sounds like it would cover most of the main niches. Maybe a few mini drones that the ground team can use to check hallways and what not as well.

Do these three set ups sound good? Or should I spread out ECM, Recon, and Support? What would be key activesofts and additional gear for each of these drones?
1. You would need TacNet software to use the sensor feeds from the drones. The rating of the TacNet software is also important, but anything above a certain rating is a restricted gear item.
2. Look at the ECM rules/functions...to get full ECM strength you have to be up close.
3. Works
Back to top Go down
klinktastic

PostSubject: Re: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 12:40 pm

@WMS - Thanks for the advice on the TacNet Softs. I haven't done a run in a long time. Would a drone like this provide valuable intel while on a run? Or can this be done better in other ways?

For the ECM, would it make more sense to put ECM on a mini drone to be deployed by the ground team? Something like a dragonfly or the ball-shaped drone?

What do you think of just Arial Grenade Support? Popping cover smoke would be useful to provide cover, or a screen against low-tech forces that the ground forces can shoot through (we'd have thermal vision, they wouldn't). Additionally, mobile frags and HE are a nice touch too. Obviously you don't want to be going overboard on explosives during runs, but sometimes you need the firepower.

The doberman is a pretty standard ground assault drone. Any thoughts on key upgrades that boost efficiency that are outside the box?
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Character sheet
Character Name: (0d3\/\/R3(|{

PostSubject: Re: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Same types of drones with different weapons lets you save money on Pilot, Defense, Mobility, Clearsight progs

Same weapons on different drones lets you save money on targeting progs.

This is assuming you hacking + computer skills are high enough.

Can ECM be fitted to a micro drone? Kinda hard to track a spider drone when it's clinging to the back of your helmet.
Back to top Go down
klinktastic

PostSubject: Re: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 2:40 pm

@Wreck - That makes a lot of sense about the various softwares. Once you by one software at 6, you can crack it and copy it, and toss it on all of your same model drones. Obviously you keep your original copy and just plug your copies into the drones.
Back to top Go down
WearzManySkins
Team Leader
Team Leader
WearzManySkins

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Character sheet
Character Name: WeaZManySkins

PostSubject: Re: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback EmptyMon Oct 18, 2010 7:18 pm

OK

Drones for a Tactnet
MCT Fly-Spy
Pilot 3
Adaptability 3
Maneuver 3
Clearsight 4
Sensor 6
Covert Ops 4
Trailblazer 4
Firewall 6
ECCM 6
Encrypt 6
Hard to spot
Chameleon Coating
Improved Sensor Array
Camera R 6
*Flare Compensation
Laser Microphone R 6
Directional Microphone
*Audio Enhancement 3
*Low-Light Vision
*Thermographic Vision
*Vision Enhancement 3
*Vision Magnification
*Select Sound Filter 3
*Spatial Recognizer
Motion Sensor
Laser Range Finder
Olfactory Sensor R 6

Note due to unclear rules on sensor/vehicle sensors, if you are using Command Chair mode the Drone does not get the sensor enhancement like Low Light etc.
If you are Jumped In mode you would.

You would need 3 of these types of drones, 1 other drone type ie vehicle, and the character to get the basic minimum for TactNet 4 software.

Grenade launchers still have way too much scatter even with grenade link using anything other than smoke etc.

Cracking and coping Software by RAW can not be done pregame. Some GM's do allow it, I do but with certain skill levels and gear needed.

Now depending on how strong a rules lawyer Twisted Evil you are and your GM allows you can get software at 10% of book cost, but you will need to make a lot of extended tests in the first 5-10 minutes of game play. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback   Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback Empty

Back to top Go down

Drone Setups - Thoughts and Feedback
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowrun Online :: Library :: Archives :: Archives - :: Questions and Answers-
Jump to: