Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeNosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MrPumpkinhead

MrPumpkinhead

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? Empty
PostSubject: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyThu Dec 02, 2010 10:04 pm

Okay, the idea of having a old Nosferatu detective, using the matrix rather than magic, sounds very awesome to me. However, I encountered that it takes a whopping 150 bp to use. And, using a total of 200 Attributes, would make him up to 350. Thats not including skills or pos. qualities. So I ask this: is it generally accepted for these kinds of characters to have more neg qualities, thanks to his HUGE bp boost? These would be extreme neg qualities, from having a lot of enemies & extremist groups against him (hunters, religionists groups), having a mental breakdown (paranoia) from the constant hunting, and, of course, being panned out of the crowd due to long fingers, pale skin, ears, bald head, fangs, long noise, etc.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Bear
Runner
Runner
Bear

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 5:56 am

no
Back to top Go down
Ghostmaker
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Ghostmaker

Number of posts : 3114
Registration date : 2009-05-13

Character sheet
Character Name: ix Sama
Race: Elf
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 am

I know how you feel. I was trying my best yesterday to come up with a vampire, That uses counter magic and banishing. Sort of like a hunter would need to fight spirits and other vampires, but i could not come up with the points. After three hours of moving this around and moving that around, i came up with nothing. i wanted to ask on the forums but never got around to it this is a character i worked out with some one before but my computer needed to be wiped and well that went with it. (sorry phantom) but yeah I'm stuck too gonna go mess with the generator see if i can't come up with something. during breakfast. Keep trying though. Its a great idea. The detective thing. if i make any progress ill let you know.
Back to top Go down
MrPumpkinhead

MrPumpkinhead

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 9:21 am

Okay, I even reduced the attributes to 150, and I still needed to make his neg qualities to -75 to just to get some decent skills (We have not even looked into contacts or the amount of yen I start with). It seems impossible to make this character without having him completely useless in the field. Oh sure, he would be strong stat wise, but this is what going to happen

Random Shadow: So, what can you do?

Nos: Well, I am strong, fast, smart, etc. than all of you, but all my skills are 1, I have no equipment, no contacts, and no magic.

Random Shadow: Get out.
Back to top Go down
MrPumpkinhead

MrPumpkinhead

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 10:13 am

Okay, I think I got something. I will post it up in character concept in a second. I want to finalize some things.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Number of posts : 3061
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Gala
Race: Human
Sex: Female

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 10:50 am

In short, it is possible to put together a Nosferatu who is useful, but you have to hyper-specialize. I have done it (And I did it with 0 extra negative qualities). Remember one thing, and it helps move you through what you need to do: Nosferatu are very hard to kill at night, which is when most (but not all) SR activity is done. As a result, a Nosferatu is more likely to survive long enough to enjoy the benefits of the karma earned.

As that pertains to SR-PBP, that's a different story. Karma is handed out more slowly, as a point of necessity, on the game-boards than in table-top games. So making a useful and fun Nosferatu on PBP is a lot harder to do. Because you'll be playing virtually the identical character for weeks or months, where in table-top it would be a few 4-hour sessions before he got useful.
Back to top Go down
wngd_phantom
Fixer
Fixer
wngd_phantom

Number of posts : 1139
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Character sheet
Character Name: Priest Sarah Gaven
Race: ork
Sex: female

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Making what most would consider a decent character with that kind of limitation is difficult. It's also important to consider the general abilities of the character, most folks try to make a character that has at least 1 point in everything, so they don't have to default. Me personally, i hate that, my belief is that what would the character do in that situation, would i expect my demolitions expert to be able to hack a military database, hell no, but he does have the base Int high enough to at least try.
Back to top Go down
Gala
Corprate CEO
Corprate CEO
Gala

Number of posts : 3061
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Character sheet
Character Name: Gala
Race: Human
Sex: Female

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 pm

Phantom, I couldn't agree with you more. Working around a limitation like the 150 build points that a Nosferatu has is difficult, and it is very important for the player, and the character, to accept and work with something more in line with "real world" limitations. The same goes for playing Shapeshifters.
Back to top Go down
Bear
Runner
Runner
Bear

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? EmptyFri Dec 03, 2010 3:26 pm

Gala said it best. Almost every expensive metatype requires super specialization. It is both their strength and weakness, because despite skill limitations they almost always wreck house at their specialization. Sadly they are all skewed towards magician/adept builds since many can't have ware that isn't delta grade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?   Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities? Empty

Back to top Go down

Nosferatu-Able to use more neg. qualities?
Page 1 of 1