Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Share | 

Spectre of Unreality

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2011-01-07

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Spectre of Unreality   Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:24 pm

In the wireless Matrix-meshed society of Seattle 2072, a few desperate runners find themselves facing the ultimate nightmare - everything they've ever known, their lives, their goals, their dreams - none of it is real. What happens when the technology you thought was a convenience turns out to be the very tool used to 'keep you in line'? How do you survive when your every move is being watched, analyzed and, and anticipated?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:51 pm

Dicer gave Ghost directions to a place he knew in Everett - an abandoned and long-forgotten warehouse - and the two arrived after an uneventful ride across town. He directed her to a roll-up bay door that looked only marginally less rusty than the rest of the building's exterior. Dicer got off the bike, pulled a small set of keys from a pocket, and unlocked the heavy metal lock attached to the door's bolt. He raised the door and signalled for Ghost to drive the Contrail inside. Once that was done, he lowered the door and locked it, shutting out the night and (he hoped) 'them'.
The interior of the warehouse was free of any crates or equipment; all that having been removed long ago. The floor, sorting counters, chutes, bins, and stalls were all covered in a thick layer of dust. Cobwebs filled the corners, and everywhere silken strands, most heavy with accumulated dust, hung about like old willow trees. There was no light save for the bike's headlamp. Moving with familiarity, Dicer went to a shelf, took down a flashlight, and switched it on. "YOU CAN SHUT IT DOWN," he had to shout over the sound of the engine; loud in the enclosed emptiness of the warehouse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Number of posts : 1351
Registration date : 2010-09-23

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:06 pm

She shut down her bike. His flashlight illuminated the hall enough for Ghost to see. “So this is it?” My place would have been nicer.The thought floated in her head. Judging by the layer of dust on the floor, nobody has been here in a while. She got off her bike, putting her helmet in the compartment. There was no need for her shades in the gloom, so the albino elf kept them in her coats pocket for now. But what she did was turning the coat inside out, now it was black, a bit less easy to see here. She closed in on him, keeping her senses sharp and observing the are, just in case. “Your turf Dicer, what now?” Ghost looked at him expectantly.

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:28 pm

"Follow me," he said and headed down a hall that led away from the open bay area and into the administration section of the warehouse - the beam from the flashlight flitting up at each passed door as Dicer read the words printed there. Shortly he stopped at one marked 'Cafeteria' and opened it.
"Come on," he told Ghost as he stepped inside, "there are chairs in here. We can sit...and talk."
He crossed the room to a round table with four molded plastic chairs and, turning one around backwards, straddled it, resting his arms on the backrest. He set the flashlight on the table, butt-end down, so the beam would give them enough illumination to see each other without it shining in Ghost's sensitive eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:51 pm

“One thing first.” She said. Then she concentrated. ”Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.” She exclaimed. A small, furry ball of light appeared between her and Dicer. It wore an old fashioned police hat and a badge. Ghost instructed it: “Patrol this building and tell me immediately when some metahuman, ghost or drone comes closer than five meter to it. Understood?” The fuzzy ball flashed up once, saying “yes sir” in a high pitched voice and scooted off.

Satisfied, Ghost sat down in one of the other chairs. She did notice his courtesy with the flashlight, but didn’t react on it yet. Then she leaned back and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “I think we’re safe here and have enough time now. We got away from these bikers and I really would like to learn what the underworld is the big thing here.” Her eyes pierced right into his. She was not angry at all but serious and quite a bit curious, what should reflect on her expression.

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:30 am

Dicer sat back at the appearance of the little puffball, then watched in amazement as Ghost spoke to it. The furry little 'cop' bounced up to acknowledge her command, then scampered off in a flash. He looked at her, eyebrows raised in wonder, but the moment of levity quickly dissolved back into the previous somber gloom.
He took the set of dice from his coat pocket and placed them on the table in front of him. He gazed at them for a long moment, gathering his thoughts, then looked up at Ghost's face. "It started about six months ago. I was working as a private investigator for various clients - staking out cheating spouses, petty embezzlers, etc. Hacking made the job easier, but it was more of a hobby. That is, until I met Cyrus; an AI who found me while I was in full VR. We chatted many times during those six months; I confided in him my views on the world and reality in general. He told me reality was what you made it. A common enough anecdote, but one that would take on much graver significance later on."
Dicer looked down at the dice again, then picked them up and held them on the flat of his palm. "And he gave me these."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:33 am

Cheating spouses, eh? We all have our slow times.. Loud she said: “I think I would agree with that AI.” She pointed out to where she knew the blue fuzz was circling the building. “Reality is what you domake of it. I see that every day.” Ghost smiled. “That almost sounds like my story. Although with less technology. When I met my… you could say mentor. It literally opened my eyes to a whole new world.” Her voice sounded sympathetic. “I kept it hidden from everyone for a long time. It felt like an eternity. But I think it was the right decision.” She leaned forward to look at the dice once more. “So these come from the matrix? I must admit I am not really proficient with it.”

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:22 am

"That's just it," he replied, his voice edged with a note of incredulity. "They should not exist in the 'real' world." He set the dice back on the tabletop, as if they were too hot to touch, or as though he were reluctant to do so. "Though the Matrix seems like a real enough place - and electronically-generated plane of existence, if you will - it does not, cannot, take up physical space in our plane of existence. It should be impossible. And yet...an object given to me through my Matrix persona, or 'icon,' is sitting here before us. You can obviously see them. So, the question is: if we two are sitting in the cafeteria of an abandoned warehouse in Everett - in the 'real' world, in other words - how can these dice be sitting here with us?"

The look Dicer gave Ghost was haunted. "When I jacked out of the Matrix and realized I still had the dice," he went on after a moment, "let's just say I have since doubted not only my own sanity, but all of reality as I have always believed it to be. You cannot imagine how that can affect a person's ability to perform even the most trivial everyday tasks, not to mention interacting with other people." A dry, humorless chuckle escaped him, "I've been slapped, and worse, for trying to interact with living metas like we do in the Matrix...suffice to say its rarely appreciated."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 am

“You’ve seen fuzzy, my watcher. He is real, no doubt. But he comes from another plane of existence. He’ll go back there when his duty is over. But I have also heard of things or beings materializing. It’s very rare. Extremely rare for something to manifest permanently. But It happens. I know the matrix is man made, but with all those metahuman minds entangled in it, why shouldn’t the same happen there? Sure, it’s a one in a billion chance, but there they are. I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It’s no fun to go insane.”

She mirrored his dry chuckle. “Believe me, I tried it. Do you know what a shock it is when you suddenly have voices talking in your head that nobody else can hear?” She looks at him. “Maybe you do.” Now her expression changed into a humorous, but also partially smug grin. “Though that doesn’t mean you are allowed to forget your manners. Treat me well or feel the consequences.”

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 am

Dicer's momentarily vague expression at that last bit conveyed his confusion better than any words could have. He let it go, his absorption in the situation too consuming to allow side-tracks into personal idiosyncracies. He didn't know how much Ghost really knew about the Matrix and its functions, but he knew that the dice were an impossibility and he didn't know how to impress that fact on her.

Instead, casting around for something to say, he chose the building itself. "I come here because its one of the few places I feel safe - or relatively so, anyway. There are no cameras or other surveillance equipment here. All that stuff was removed back when the former owners moved their business elsewhere. There is no Matrix access here at all, except for our commlinks, of course."

He felt fatigue creep over him and stretched, suddenly putting a hand over his mouth to stifle a yawn. "Oough," he groaned through the yawn, "whew, I guess all that excitement has gotten to me." He glanced up at the chronometer in the corner of his AR overlay; it read 2:00 AM.
He looked at Ghost, knowing she had stayed with him so far, despite his wild tale and apparent mental state, and he had been unable to give her more than shoddy accomodations and a dirty, no-frills place to hole up. He decided it was time he showed her some proper appreciation. Though he still could not shake his suspicions that they were in danger, he knew he still had to persist in whatever reality currently presented itself.

"I could go for a soykaf about now. I know a place that's still open at this hour, or something stronger if you've a mind for that." He tried a grin, but felt it was a poor effort and just looked at her expectantly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:46 am

“Soykaf will be fine. Given what happened, I would prefer to keep a clear mind.” She got up, pulling the coat a bit tighter. “How far away is it? Shall we take the bike or will a walk do?” She checked her pistol, then said: “I’m ready. Fuzzy will keep guarding the warehouse until we come back.” She looked into his face. The mention of magic still seemed to fascinate him somehow. “I hope that place has snacks too. Lead on, Gambler of dice.”

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:24 pm

"Let's walk it," he told her, "its not far."

They left, Dicer replacing the heavy keylock on the outside of the roll-up door. The already blustery night had turned misty, and the pungent odor of ash from Mt Ranier's still-active eruptions hung heavy in the dampness. Turning their coat collars up against the soggy chill, they walked briskly along the sidewalk - faces turned down to keep most of the wetness off.

As they walked, they slowly became aware of a preternatural silence the late hour could not account for. The light mist grew heavier as well, surrounding the runners in an eerie, sound-suppressing shroud.
"What the-" he began, but his voice trailed off as three silhouetted figures materialized from the fog. All three humanoid in shape, they seemed to be part of the mist. A cultured, charming voice drifted from one, "Quite late to be out walking, is it not?" The speaker moved closer, its form revealed as it drew nearer - that of an elf male somewhere in its middle forties. He wore an obviously well-tailored black suit, though the design had been out of fashion for several decades. His black hair was swept back from a pale forehead, and his eyes seemed to bear a slightly reddish hue as if bloodshot. The other figures stood unmoving, appearing to be little more than dark phantasms in the concealing mists.

Dicer drew his pistol before replying, "Kind of late for uninvited meetings on the street as well, wouldn't you say?" He levelled the barrel at Suit's chest, the threat clear and unmistakable.
The chuckle from the dark man was rich with scorn. He seemed unperturbed by the loaded firearm trained on him. "You must be very brave," he mocked, "or utterly foolish. No matter. My associates are restless, and I grow bored with your inane reparte'. Let us see if your resolve is as strong as you have deluded yourself into believing."
With that he grew hazy, then transparent, then faded away to mist completely. As soon as he was gone, the other two figures began to move closer. As the mists swirled and eddied, they emerged to reveal rough, hairless skin, elongated fingers tipped with thick, ragged claws, and filmy white eyes that seemed useless. Despite their apparent blindness, however, the two moved with slow deliberate steps toward the spot where Dicer stood.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Excrement excrement excrement. Why this?Outwardly, Ghost stayed calm, relying on her martial arts training. She hoped Dicer could handle the situation for a moment longer.
She switched her view into the astral space. The ghouls shone, just like Dicer did. But where was that other guy? She was quite sure she should be able to see him here. She reached into the mana and pulled it up.
Sharp like a discsaw, she put it into her hands.
Behind her, the mans voice sounded up. “You look delicious. Scared stiff, poor thing.” She felt more than she saw, how he returned from being mist back into a solid form. He closed in to grab her. “Scared tastes even better.”
Like her teacher Lahen’rent tought her, Ghost concentrated the movement on one single moment in time, turning and hitting the vampire with both hands. One hit him in the throat, the other under the solarplexus. On impact, the mana in her hands charged into his body, disrupting his pattern, causing damage, and pain. He flew back several feet. “Do I look scared?” She let out with a hiss.

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin

Last edited by Darkon on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Only vaguely aware that Ghost was also under attack - he'd already witnessed her knack for taking care of business, she'd have to handle herself for now - Dicer focused on his two attackers. Though they both seemed a little disoriented, the mouths full of ragged teeth and long, sharp claws were more than enough to make them serious adversaries. Dicer wasted no time considering this, however, and fired his Predator IV at the closest ghoul. A satisfyingly large hole bloomed in the center of the thing's chest, and it was thrown back a few staggering steps from the impact. Dicer's howl of triumph was short-lived as the creature did not go down. Disappointment quickly turned to dismay as the sound of the gunshot, still echoing down the empty street, seemed to pinpoint his location for the other ghoul who homed in on him like a moth to a flame. With a powerful swipe of one claw-tipped arm, the second ghoul landed a solid blow that sent Dicer - barely able to get his free arm up in time to absorb some of the impact - reeling back, pinwheeling his arms in an effort to keep his feet. Ghoul2 (as Dicer thought of it) groaned out its own unintelligible battlecry and hurried forward again. Ghoul1, having regained its balance, also moved toward him, though its progress was markedly hampered - the chest wound having inflicted heavy damage despite the thing still managing to maintain its attack.
Dicer raised the semiautomatic again, this time assuming the shooter's stance of feet apart, both arms raised, and the left hand wrapped around the right wrist. He took aim at Ghoul2's drooling maw and hoped Ghost was faring better than he was so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:40 pm

“If you hoped for an easy snack, you have bad luck tonight.” His reply was an angry hiss, but apparently he wasn’t inclined to attack her again right now. Angrily he replied: “You don’t know who you’re dealing with.” Ghost stepped closer. “I don’t care. If I get attacked, I hit back.” Again, she drew from the mana. But this time she formed it into a ball of energy. It grew in her mind, sharp like shards of glass, hot like a muzzle flash. She turned her head, looking at the two ghouls, about to attack dicer and released the ball from her mind. It appeared directly between and behind them. It caused their skin to rip and burn as the energy burned it’s way from their own auras into their bodies. The ghouls screams filled the street with agony and hatred. The drain pulled on Ghost. She tried to hide her exhaustion by leaning her back against the wall, crossing her arms before her chest. “Your last chance to leave.” She told the vampire. Seemingly nonchalant.

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:07 pm

The extra damage inflicted by Ghost's spell put Ghoul1 down hard. The reanimated corpse smacked the concrete with a heavy, wet thud. Ghoul2, both wounded and distracted from its intended victim, became an easy target for Dicer's aimed shot, and the bullet took what was left of the things head off. It too fell like a sack of rotted potatoes.
Breathing a sigh of relief, he looked to see Ghost facing the Suit, her posture that of defiance and readiness to fight. Dicer hurried to her side, the pistol coming to bear on the pale bloodsucker's chest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:42 pm

The vampire stood up slowly, lifting his arms. “This is not the last you’ve seen from me.” He growled. But then he turned and left. Ghost looked at Dicer. “Nice neighbourhood.” She pulled herself off the wall and leaned on Dicers shoulder. Her head was buzzing from the drain, but as long as there was a chance the vampire might still watching them, she kept her posture of strength up. “I need a coffee now.” She said. “Is that coffee place any safer than this? No?” She grinned humourless. “I’ve got a coffee machine in my place. And I need rest. Let’s go get my bike.”

He wasn’t sure if it’s a good idea. She could tell. But it was the logic choice, so she insisted. Her home was far from here, in a relative secure area, and in the worst case, her lodge would stop more ghouls or other dual natured beings from entering. Other than that, she also felt much better in her own lair.

The drive was uneventful. She kept her visor open. The fresh wind helped to clear her head up a bit more.
It took them a while to reach Tarislar. Down in Puyallup. She courved into the space beside the bungalow. “Stay quiet, the neighbours don’t like strangers.” Ghost activated the anti theft system and then went to the front door. It looked undisturbed. She used the physical key, then the electronic one. Not many people could pick both kinds of locks nowadays.
They entered the bungalow. It was a moderately well furnished home. “Kitchen is over there.” She pointed to one door. “There’s the guest bedroom.” She pointed to another. With that she closed the door and locked it. “Over there is my lodge. Stay out of it.” She said it in a friendly but firm tone. With that, she went into the kitchen and made some coffee. “I’ve got some beer in the fridge. Suit yourself.”

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Suspect
Runner
Runner

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Standing in Ghost's livingroom, Dicer's head reeled a bit from the whirlwind events of the night. Almost from the time he had met her, things had been on a roller coaster ride from hell, and he seriously needed some time to wind down and regroup.
"I think I'll have one of those beers, if you don't mind," he said and went to get it himself. He didn't want her to think he was the kind of guy who took his leisure while a woman waited on his every need. Besides, he'd been alone too long to be comfortable with anyone doing for him. Opening the fridge, he took one of the bottles and checked the label. "Hey," he exclaimed in honest and delighted surprise, "this is genuine beer, not synthehol. Nice!" Glancing at Ghost as she went about preparing her coffee, he caught a look of satisfaction on her face, though she tried not to show it. Remembering his manners - a trait his mother had pounded into him, sometimes literally - he added after taking a long, delicious swallow, "Ah, that's what I needed alright. Thank you Ghost."
He took a seat at the kitchen table, watching her moving about in her own 'safety zone' and felt a sudden but absurdly sentimental tug of nostalgia at the relaxed, nonchalance with which she went about her task. He remembered another time, another place, when it was he busily preparing a meal, and...
His eyes went to the bottle in his hand, his face momentarily downcast and sad. He raised the beer and downed another long swig, firmly putting those old memories far down where they belonged. That was a long time ago and gone, never to return.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Darkon
Fixer
Fixer

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality   Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Of course he had to find the real beer. Well, he looks as if he really needs it. At least I did not show him the whiskey. Maybe another time, but not tonight. “You’re welcome.” Ghost put a few burritos into the microwave, then she sat down with him, a cup of hot coffee in her hands, the smell filling the kitchen. After a minute of silence, the microwave pinged. She got the burritos. “Let’s go to the living room. It’s more comfortable there.”

There, she put down the plate with burritos on the table and took off her boots. “Aaah. That’s much better.” Now barefoot, she threw herself onto the big couch. Stretching her arms, then grabbing a burrito. There was enough for both on the plate. “Aren’t you hungry?” She asked Dicer, who stood in the room as if undecided what to do. Next she took a remote and activated the home entertainment system. It played a trid of ‘Elvish Has Left The Building’, an elven rock group. Ghost laid back and took a deep breath. Then she exhaled. ”Much, much better.” A sip of the soycaf to the tunes of ‘Dandelion blow job’ and she felt ready for anything again.

thoughts
astral
magic and telepathy
comlinks and radio
Japanese
Sperethiel
German
Mandarin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spectre of Unreality