Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomehey really new need help SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

hey really new need help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
soulreaverr

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2011-04-02

Character sheet
Character Name: SoulReaver
Race: human
Sex: male

hey really new need help Empty
PostSubject: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 pm

hey just a new person who wants to become a runner ive read the new runners tab and looked at the forum rules. hmmm most makes sense but some of it doesn't i plan on getting a copy of the 20th anniversary edition pdf for 10 bucks or do i rlly just need the 4th edition. Also as well where would i need to start i read that i should create a character hmm rlly have no idea how to do that but can someone point me in the right direction or tell me a list of steps to get me goin. i just rescently got the 360 game and well lol my step father hes in his 50's saw it and told me that he played the role play back in the day and said i should try. ive been a fan of dnd just never could get started on it and figured with the help of some ppl on here i could get started and rlly enjoy my self before i ship out for basic training in august navy man lol. but hope i get a reply and thank u folks =) have a good day cheers
Back to top Go down
Digital Doom
Admin
Admin
Digital Doom

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-12-04

Character sheet
Character Name: Digital Doom
Race: Human
Sex: M

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:06 pm

Ok, You only need the 4th edition book to get started. A lot of the GM's will be glad to help with any questions that you may have. The more you read the books, the better amd richer experiance you will have in the game universe.

I love Shadowrun, but am not able to get online as much as I would like. I know my GM's and other staff members would be willing to help with any questions...
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/shadowrunsurvivalguide/
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:16 pm

Thank you but ill get the 20th anniversary and start up reading hoping to try and get some game play experience soon but i just hope i dont have to read the entire book lol cause thats pretty big. got the book bout to start reading it but when i go to make a character i should post it in the characters section correct then what do i do O_o lol wish youll had a teamspeak and could explain this hmm could get my step dad as well he could possibly help me out as well . but for the forums part and posting of characters how do i get started in a game with people and or whats difference between a ooc and the thread with game title. but thnks gotta start reading. as well my times for games can pretty well be any time of the week from 6 to 10 pm eastern standard time monday through friday and saturday any time and sunday any time up to 10 pm cause if id get into a game or a mission slash story id like to keep going =) think id enjoy it. was looking for a group maybe in my area to play with but instead found this but i think id really enjoy this. a good group of ppl who are very knowledgable in this and can help a newb out here and there =) so rlly hope to get started soon.
Back to top Go down
Drugged dwarf
Runner
Runner

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Wait... Did you say the anniversary edition is 10 bucks?
buy it now!
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 5:53 pm

alrady did got the pdf file its not the hard back cover the hard back is 25 from amazon on sale usually 40 was gonna wait till my next check and get the augmentation and arsenal and the 20th anniversary for 70 all hard back from amazon but wanted to get started on reading plus can just easily read it from my monitor but yea i went and asked my step dad about the book being 10 bucks for pdf he told me to go ahead and get it but now curious on how much do i need to read i skimed through it so far and WOW O_O 30 pages of chunk full of history and magical events but the character creation seems really complex prlly gonna talk to him in a min and read up some tonight seem like im gonna be up a while reading.
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Number of posts : 658
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Character sheet
Character Name: Kouryuu.LV
Race: Elf
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 6:32 pm

For the basic rules you can always look up the Shadowrun: Quick-Start Rules (20pages
the book should be available online for free as a ad, but its really basic and contains no character creation, so a core book is advised.
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:05 pm

Thnx =) hmm talked to my step dad and he told me u basically start with ur race which has its attributes and its ups and downs as health and what but skills more or less ur character is defined as what ur character does more than theres a specific class but hmm as far as i can tell the bases or basic of my character is going to be a adept liked the quality of a street samurai but more into the street magic and using essence and magic to buff my character into a hack and slasher so i rlly liked the adept so far
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:20 pm

i am new here too, + i am making a material art magic user with double pistols. i guess there should be at least some characters here in the forum that resemble you thought's you could look what others have made and gather up some pointers for your adept.
read the core book, and studied some expansions like arsenal and augmentation and am making my character.
at the moment reading the "We Be Gangers" story for some pre game experience, so i know how to play here. it is at last a very good read. nice job every one.
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:23 pm

Nice will read after i finish the history O_O jeez this is alot lol but gonna hurry and read up after im done gonna look into the augmentation and arsenal i shouldnt need to look into the matrix book hmmm should i read the companion guide as well . and maybe the street magic book
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:39 pm

soulreaverr wrote:
Nice will read after i finish the history O_O jeez this is alot lol but gonna hurry and read up after im done gonna look into the augmentation and arsenal i shouldnt need to look into the matrix book hmmm should i read the companion guide as well . and maybe the street magic book

not really necessary, for a character all you need is in core, there is some extra stuff in other books, but you can make an excellent character without them.
I personally just used the martial art quality from the arsenal book (few pages)
augmentation is not really for a magic user as it contains cyber- and bioware
Runners companion and street magic would be good for a magic user, but just don't miss any opportunities to make a character, games start here not very often so would be a pain to miss one and have to enrol with a game going.
you can try to use some character generator as a experimentation area, but most of them do not follow all the rules so knowing the basics is important.
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:17 am

k thnx lol was extremely tired last night read some more pages ive figured out what mister johnson is and the history the mega corporations basically own or really influence the goverment and theres 10 if im correct but plan on just reading the magical events to inform me more of what my character will face and what the corporations are. but the rest of the book may seem to prove a pain lol like 40 to 50 pages of just informing me of how to do the damage rules and more rules lol but its k hopefully later today i can enroll in a game but how would i go about enrolling. also whats the difference between the game thread and the ooc game thread O_o and do i need to post my character in the character section once ive made him in my profile. As well is this by any chance copy right i know there is a legacy of kain Soulreaver game but i rlly like to use the name and the story of how my character became would be nothing close to how raziel became a well no longer a vampire but something of death and decay if some one has heard or played the series i would like to use the names raziel and soulreaver in my characters background but the relative story of how my character became would be nothing of that asking now before a GM or Moderator lol gets me i would figure itd be ok since it would literaly have no correlation with the game or that just wanted to use two names that i rlly like and fuse it with the back ground story of my character.
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:05 am

soulreaverr wrote:
k thnx lol was extremely tired last night read some more pages ive figured out what mister johnson is and the history the mega corporations basically own or really influence the goverment and theres 10 if im correct but plan on just reading the magical events to inform me more of what my character will face and what the corporations are.

yap the back story is fun to read, and there is a lot out there outside the core book

soulreaverr wrote:
but the rest of the book may seem to prove a pain lol like 40 to 50 pages of just informing me of how to do the damage rules and more rules lol but its k hopefully later today i can enroll in a game but how would i go about enrolling.

Rules is a pain, exceptionally reading through the ones you are not planing to be using any time soon, but nonetheless you should have at least a basic knowledge of them. [For me it was easier to understand them when i started with the quick start rules and then go in deep with the core book version, but you should do as is best four you.]
it is a pity, but that is not the way it works, as far as I know. Only a GM can start a game and it happens only 1-3 times a month. The last game was started on the 26 of march and it looks that none is in the making.

soulreaverr wrote:
also whats the difference between the game thread and the ooc game thread O_o and do i need to post my character in the character section once ive made him in my profile.

OOC may refer to the Out Of Character discussions the have while playing.
Posting your character in the concept section would be much better, there you could ask for help, and suggestions to improve the character you have made and only when you are sure he is finalized you move him to the Character section.

soulreaverr wrote:
As well is this by any chance copy right i know there is a legacy of kain Soulreaver game but i rlly like to use the name and the story of how my character became would be nothing close to how raziel became a well no longer a vampire but something of death and decay if some one has heard or played the series i would like to use the names raziel and soulreaver in my characters background but the relative story of how my character became would be nothing of that asking now before a GM or Moderator lol gets me i would figure itd be ok since it would literaly have no correlation with the game or that just wanted to use two names that i rlly like and fuse it with the back ground story of my character.

There should be no copyright problems naming your Character after a Jewish myth or a game, if you still fear it, you can just make it in your back story how he got the name, like from playing a lot of this game Version 27

looked up som Characters in characters section, here some examples to look at for an material artist also in 4th ed.core book page 95 is an example.

pp's
Manuo Puuola
Michael "Mike" Hawk

Drugged dwarf
Boris

wngd_phantom
Priest Sarah Gaven

p.s. had I known wngd_phantom had such an excellent Character I would have looked it up for references before making mine.
P.s.s I think you can be a Vampire or undead too, but that you should ask someone with more experience
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 7:46 am

THNX =) a vampire or something undead would be suitable but i dont fear the copy right but thank u hmm finished reading about the magical incidents and history its alot to take it but ive skiped like the sports and fashion lol. but now reading the rules on tests and other stuff had to ask my step dad about the difference between a decker which confused if its still used any more cause i think we call them hackers but from what i can tell a hacker or a desker has to have a console or aka cyber deck if im correct to interact with the matrix such as a keyboard but they cant use the matrix as in virtual reality basically connect to it with there brain i got confused cause i was assuming something as in ghost in the shell a cybernetic brain and just a neural interface no keyboard or console needed but was blown away when i learned about magic hackers. hackers that use magic or essence to connect to the matrix without a deck or console or keyboard as far as i was able to interpret from the text but they were just as fearsome as a hacker was in the matrix just with the use of essence. but correct me if im right or wrong lol and pls could this be explained. i do apologize its alot to take in at one time spent maybe 2 hours worth of reading so far and 95 pages of history and basics of the shadow run universe and the corperations and now starting another 60 to go just for rules and maybe lol a couple in the character creation but i rlly puzzled my step dad about the magic hacker he nvr heard of it to him it never existed but then again he said that may be due to he was playing the 2nd edition back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:08 am

soulreaverr wrote:
THNX =) a vampire or something undead would be suitable but i dont fear the copy right but thank u hmm finished reading about the magical incidents and history its alot to take it but ive skiped like the sports and fashion lol. but now reading the rules on tests and other stuff had to ask my step dad about the difference between a decker which confused if its still used any more cause i think we call them hackers but from what i can tell a hacker or a desker has to have a console or aka cyber deck if im correct to interact with the matrix such as a keyboard but they cant use the matrix as in virtual reality basically connect to it with there brain i got confused cause i was assuming something as in ghost in the shell a cybernetic brain and just a neural interface no keyboard or console needed but was blown away when i learned about magic hackers. hackers that use magic or essence to connect to the matrix without a deck or console or keyboard as far as i was able to interpret from the text but they were just as fearsome as a hacker was in the matrix just with the use of essence. but correct me if im right or wrong lol and pls could this be explained. i do apologize its alot to take in at one time spent maybe 2 hours worth of reading so far and 95 pages of history and basics of the shadow run universe and the corperations and now starting another 60 to go just for rules and maybe lol a couple in the character creation but i rlly puzzled my step dad about the magic hacker he nvr heard of it to him it never existed but then again he said that may be due to he was playing the 2nd edition back in the day.

yap its hacker now
in 4th edition everything is wireless and your deck is now your comlink [telephone/cyberdeck/rigging deck/mp3 player/etc......] so dont forget to get a comlink and an os for it
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:11 am

k as well what about SIN and what about os i dont think i seen that in the corebook so far hmm may be farther back lol in the book in character creation but i can bet a arm and a leg its not windows or mac lol
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:34 am

soulreaverr wrote:
k as well what about SIN and what about os i dont think i seen that in the corebook so far hmm may be farther back lol in the book in character creation but i can bet a arm and a leg its not windows or mac lol

its on page 215 in 4th ed core, took me a while to find, since I started to use a char gen the book starts to slip out fro reach.
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 8:53 am

lol understandable having to try and having to flip back to a page cause may have missed a term here or there but right now learning the modifiers of attribute, thresh hold ,dice pool , and skill if im correct ill look back in a min but just about finishing the time modifier trying to wrap my mind around it. but almost to the attributes section then after 10 more pages of reading ill finnaly be at the character creation part
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 3:23 pm

well got my character started got the bio the physical bio and now got the attributes and my magic and edge so far i dont have any gear lol and got 115 bp left the rest has been calculated out such as adept 5 bp and the attributes which are 10 bp a piece took me a hour and so far got that much. the rest though ill do later having to take breaks and rest but hopefully i can finish and have it psoted by the end of tonight
Back to top Go down
Kouryuu.LV
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
Kouryuu.LV

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:32 pm

soulreaverr wrote:
well got my character started got the bio the physical bio and now got the attributes and my magic and edge so far i dont have any gear lol and got 115 bp left the rest has been calculated out such as adept 5 bp and the attributes which are 10 bp a piece took me a hour and so far got that much. the rest though ill do later having to take breaks and rest but hopefully i can finish and have it psoted by the end of tonight

How is it coming along?

be sure not to put too much in places, there are limits.

here some help

http://www.shadowrunonlinepbp.com/t522-character-generator

just remember to reset the settings, it's left on house rules
Back to top Go down
soulreaverr

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 6:49 pm

yea srry was checking my email and seen that i got some messages so went and checked and well lol for 2 hours then finding the generator this has just helped me out alot more
thank u rlly rlly like the generator but i think ill be fine with the core book and later if i wanna get more in depth ill get another book to do the rest
oh yea the limits make sence limit is 9 if augmented but i think 10 if u have aptitude quality thats what the book says any ways
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hey really new need help   hey really new need help Empty

Back to top Go down

hey really new need help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowrun Online :: General Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: