Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeNeuromancer SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Neuromancer

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PresentPresence
Team Leader
Team Leader
PresentPresence

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2010-07-31

Character sheet
Character Name: яөъөсөр
Race: Human After All
Sex: French

Neuromancer Empty
PostSubject: Neuromancer   Neuromancer EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Just finished reading this masterpiece for the first time. Jesus, half of the terms from Shadowrun come from this book! Razorgirls, street samurai, punchin' deck, muscle implants, it's crazy! But, yeah, I wouldn't suggest it for the general and potentially immature populace. There's, ya know, sex. A good deal. Some stuff that could warp a young mind, and not just philosophically, either. It makes you want to make characters just as flawed as Chase, with backgrounds like Molly, and crazy like, well, more than six people. I know I want to make me a Maelcum. Seriously, if you love Shadowrun, you have to love the Sprawl trilogy, and I don't mean how you have to love the first Star Wars trilogy to love the original trilogy (protip: ya don't). Sure, their isn't magic, or dragons, or trolls. But you can feel the magic, know impossibly epic characters akin to dragons, and there's a fair share of troll-like joeboy graftees. Just....read it. And then, post your first impressions. GOGOGO!
Back to top Go down
T_Hawk
Mr. Johnson
Mr. Johnson
T_Hawk

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Character sheet
Character Name: Shadow
Race: Human
Sex: Male

Neuromancer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neuromancer   Neuromancer EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 9:35 pm

Glad to see an new initiate in the ways of cyberpunk. Gibson is really where it starts for us... while Gibson had his influences (Blade Runner key among them) he launched the genre of cyberpunk for the rest of us. Shadowrun was more or less FASA mixing Cyberpunk and D&D and running with what came out.

Gibson didn't like the fact that he'd been ripped off, but didn't take any legal action. He more or less said, "Yeah, they stole from me. But I've stolen ideas from other places too. They can keep putting out their version of my work, but I never want to see my name in relation to SR."

Dunno bout you, chummer, but for me... yeah, that's the sort of thing that makes me respect a man. Didn't lay down, didn't back off, but didn't stop new ideas from growing. Aren't many artists these days who'd do that.

Back to top Go down
PresentPresence
Team Leader
Team Leader
PresentPresence

Number of posts : 302
Registration date : 2010-07-31

Character sheet
Character Name: яөъөсөр
Race: Human After All
Sex: French

Neuromancer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neuromancer   Neuromancer EmptyFri Aug 27, 2010 7:37 pm

I was always curious of how Gibson responded, crossing my fingers for acceptance. But, despite his lack of input/cooperation, I, too, can respect his "taking of the high road." And if he hadn't, we wouldn't have Shadowrun.
Back to top Go down
jrm549

jrm549

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-09-12

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

Neuromancer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neuromancer   Neuromancer EmptyWed Sep 15, 2010 10:02 pm

Neuromancer is phenominal. It's definitely archetypal as cyberpunk literature.... I'm guessing it's likely the most popular of Gibson's earlier books. If haven't yet followed it up and found Count Zero: do. It's equally great. I might have even liked it more.

Beyond Gibson, if you want cyberpunk that isn't just pulp (which is fun and has its place as well), have you checked out Neal Stephenson? His Snow Crash is a fantastically modelled cyberpunk world. It would take place in maybe a just pre-SR3 era.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Neuromancer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Neuromancer   Neuromancer Empty

Back to top Go down

Neuromancer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Shadowrun Online :: General Chat :: General Chat-
Jump to: