Shadowrun Online
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who said running the shadows was easy? Dodging bullets, swords, spirits, and spells just to name a few. Elves, Dwarves, Trolls, even the occasional Dragon can make any Shadowrun go bad.

Shadowrun HomeHomeChar gen. How long? SHADOWCHATLatest imagesSearchRegisterNew RunnersLog in

Char gen. How long?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
arvo

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-12-05

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

Char gen. How long? Empty
PostSubject: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 4:09 pm

How long does it take for folks here to bash a character together from a cold start?
Just out of interest (not completely innocently, but mainly Wink )
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Character sheet
Character Name: (0d3\/\/R3(|{
Race: Human
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 pm

It takes me a couple of hours to "build" him. But, it takes me several days to really work out the background.
Back to top Go down
arvo

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 am

So I'm guessing about a week total?

That 'bout average for on here?

Like for example if I was thinkin' of chucking a quickie run together then from when I post a want ad it'd be about a week 'till folk were ready to run?
Back to top Go down
Jagger
Fixer
Fixer

Number of posts : 1148
Registration date : 2008-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 6:12 am

As a GM, Arvo, you're allowed to set whatever time limits for players to prepare a character that you choose.

That said, however, each player is different with respect to how much real-life time they have available to devote to the game, so time limits often have the unfortunate effect of causing some players to not participate. Some of the other GMs on the site will allow a week, or even two, for chargen, with special considerations for anyone who wishes to join the game but has limited time with which to post.

Again, though, any GM can set whatever rules for his/her game as they choose.
Back to top Go down
arvo

Character sheet
Character Name:
Race:
Sex:

PostSubject: Re: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 6:25 am

Jagger wrote:
As a GM, Arvo, you're allowed to set whatever time limits for players to prepare a character that you choose.

That said, however, each player is different with respect to how much real-life time they have available to devote to the game, so time limits often have the unfortunate effect of causing some players to not participate. Some of the other GMs on the site will allow a week, or even two, for chargen, with special considerations for anyone who wishes to join the game but has limited time with which to post.

Again, though, any GM can set whatever rules for his/her game as they choose.

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for a) what is a reasonable balance to get people to join in, but make the game have some feel of progress and continuity and b) as a newbie to gm'ing SRO (and SR4 for that matter) how much time I've got to cram before I've gotta start looking like I know what I'm talking about! Smile

Ah, frak, given the game away now Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Wreck
Fixer
Fixer
Wreck

Number of posts : 1442
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Character sheet
Character Name: (0d3\/\/R3(|{
Race: Human
Sex: Male

PostSubject: Re: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? EmptyFri Dec 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Do what with the where now?

I'd say no more than two weeks unless there is a lot of chatter about char gen in the ooc/want ad. within a week you should probably have all of your potential players. But, like Jager said you may need to wait another week or two to get the game really rolling.

This is especially true if you set strict guidelines for char gen/ house rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Char gen. How long?   Char gen. How long? Empty

Back to top Go down

Char gen. How long?
Page 1 of 1